Kanopy is an award-winning video streaming service providing access to more than 30,000 independent and documentary films ─ titles of unique social and cultural value from The Criterion Collection, The Great Courses, Media Education Foundation, and thousands of independent filmmakers.
How do I access Kanopy?
The lock icon indicates the site is secure.
Click on the orange ADD LIBRARY CARD button, then enter your 14-digit library card number and PIN/password.
Create an account using one of the following three methods: Facebook, Google, or email address. If you already have an account, click on the orange LOG IN button and enter your information. NOTE: If you use Facebook or Google to login in, you will not be able to use Kanopy's "Forgot Password?" tool to retrieve a forgotten password in the future.
If you have registered with an email address and password, go to your Inbox to verify your email address. Go back to Kanopy and add your 14-digit library card number and PIN or password.
Adding Another Library
- Go to your profile, located in the upper right side of the Kanopy site. Your first name might be displayed.
- Select My Memberships from the drop-down menu.
- Click the the orange Add a new membership button to add another library.
- Follow the instructions on the page.
How many titles can I play?
10 titles (plays) per month.
What is the loan period?
72 hours (3 days)
Can I download videos?
No. At this time, videos can only be streamed online.
Why can't I borrow more than 10 titles in a month?
In order to offer the Kanopy service to all library users, the Library has budgeted 10 titles per month.
Other Ways to Access Kanopy
Is there a Kanopy app?
Yes. You can stream films from Roku, iOS, and Android devices using the free Kanopy app, which is available from your device’s app store.
Can I use Chromecast or Apple TV to access Kanopy?
Yes. Visit the Kanopy help pages for detailed instructions on how to use Chromecast, Apple TV, and other methods to access Kanopy.
What are some of the accessibility features?
All films come with ADA-compliant captions and transcripts and are compatible with screen reader programs, such as JAWS.
Can I access Kanopy from computers at the Library?
You can access Kanopy from any Internet computer at the Library.
Updating Your Library Card Number
Here are the steps to update your library card number in your Kanopy account:
1. Click on the LOG IN button on the far, right hand side of the screen in the Bozeman Library Kanopy portal: https://bozemanlibrary.kanopy.com/
2. Enter the email address and password you used to first sign up with Kanopy. If you've forgotten your password, use click on the Forgot Password? link in the login area.
3. Hover over where it says your name in the top, right hand corner of the screen and choose MY DASHBOARD from the drop down menu.
4. Near the top, middle of the screen you will see a red button that says EDIT MY LIBRARY CARD.
5. Change the card number to the new library card number and hit SAVE.
If there is a problem with a video, where can I get help?
I didn't receive the message from Kanopy instructing me to verify my email address. What happened?
Sometimes these messages are filtered to your Spam or Junk Mail folders. Be sure to check these folders and allow email@example.com to send messages to your Inbox.
Can I suggest titles to be added to Kanopy?
Yes. Because Kanopy provides the entire catalog of titles, please contact Kanopy directly to suggest titles. The Library cannot accommodate these requests.