"A Universe of Stories" is the theme for 2019's Summer Reading Program. Join us for awesome space and science-themed activities in June and July and our annual Summer Creative Workshops in August with registration starting July 1.
Summer Reading Blast-Off Party:
Star Wars Party! Saturday, June 8 at 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM. Make light sabers, take photos with Star Wars 501st Division, watch Star Wars IV: New Hope and pick up program materials & schedules.
Fridays 10:30 AM - 12:00 PM starting June 14 with astronaut Loren Acton. Ages 6-12 invited any Friday for hands-on space and science activities, games, and experiments. Don't miss our special guests!
For ages 6-12 daily: Lego Club, Chess, Minecraft, R.E.A.D. to a Dog, Capture the Flag
Mondays 9:30 AM and 11:00 AM starting June 17 to July 29 for kids
entering Kindergarten this fall.
Kids can practice being a kindergartner with certified kindergarten teachers each week in the Community Room.
Due to the popularity of this program, this year we are offering 2 sessions, 9:30 AM and 11:00 AM. Sign-up for either session, the spots go fast!
Why summer reading?
- Summer is when kids get to read for pure enjoyment! It’s especially important for kids learning to read to continue to read all summer long.
- Local research in Bozeman, as well as national research, has found that not reading enough in the summer leads to summer learning loss, which takes an average of 44 days for a student to recover in the fall--more than two months behind! Kids entering grade 1-3 are impacted the most!
- This summer, in collaboration with our local schools, we are encouraging kids to read 100 books over the summer. . . or 2,000 pages! This means either one short book a day OR 20 pages a day.
We think kids can do this, and we think it will make a big difference when they return to school in the fall. And kids will feel a lot better about their reading too.
How to make the Library part of your summer:
- Plan regular visits to the Library to allow your kids to browse and check out a stack of books. There is no limit on number of books, so bring home plenty to read.
- We have summer reading logs, booklists, a calendar of programs, book suggestions, computers, and more at the Library.
- If your student goes to Meadowlark, Hyalite, or Emily Dickinson, they can visit their school library on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from June 18 - August 15 from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
- Check out books from the Bookmobile! It will be traveling all over Bozeman this summer and anyone in Gallatin County can get a free library card. Visit the bookmobile page to find the summer schedule.
Free lunch every weekday at the Library with Gallatin Valley Food Bank
Summer should be a stress-free time for parents, kids, and teens.The Summer Meals Program is available all summer long, starting June 10 - August 30, Monday through Friday from 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM.
The program is open to ALL kids and teens 18 and under. FREE, healthy meals are available at meal sites across the Gallatin Valley.
There are no applications to fill out or proof of income. Just show up and enjoy a meal! Follow this link for more info.